About Yoga Therapy
Your body-mind is wise! Persistent discomfort is an intuitive call for corrective action. Now is your time to answer this call with Yoga therapy : the process of empowering individuals to progress toward improved health and well-being through the application of the teachings and practices of yoga. The process leads you on an intriguing, intimate, treasure hunt to remember your innate healing capacity and to recover vital resources.Yoga philosophy provides the map, the practices provide tools, and your body provides the vehicle for your exploration!
Yoga philosophy provides the map, the practices provide tools, and your body provides the vehicle for your exploration. Your yoga therapy exploration is taken through the lens of yogic view of the human as sheathed in 5 treasures that originate within subtle fields of energy (spirit and consciousness), evolve into mind, then eventually take gross physical form as an emotive body empowered with animate energy. We are constituted in form by a combination of five interrelated elements: Earth Water Fire Air and Space; each related to unique aspects of our anatomy, physiology and animate energies. Our treasures are inextricably intertwined in generating and sustaining optimal well-being. In this paradigm, all forms of disease (dis-ease/discomfort) are understood to begin in the subtle energy realms before manifesting in gross form. Loss of relationship between any of the five treasures, compromises all of them. The treasure hunt taken in our yoga therapy process helps recover your treasures and restore their natural state of balance for your state of well-being!
Engaging yoga therapy is not like attending a yoga class where the focus is typically limited to practicing yoga postures, basic breath awareness and brief relaxation. Yoga class settings barely allow teachers to scratch the surface of the potential yoga holds for shaping your well-being. In contrast, the process of yoga therapy engages a wide scope of yoga practices to gradually re-empower individuals to become conscious that they presently possess an essential nature that is inherently whole, innately loving, and not subject to any form of suffering. The navigational tools yoga therapy provides may include:
- non-judgmental reflecting upon values and internal and external conduct that supports or detracts from one’s values
- establishing rhythms of activity, rest, and consumption of nutrients that are in harmony with the natural world
- practicing physical postures and movements that align and strengthen the body while cleansing the organ systems
- expanding the breath
- attuning all the senses
- concentrating, then focusing attention
- witnessing mental chatter, emotions and beliefs
- developing presence through meditation
- remembering a unified state of being, free of embodied suffering
As a certified yoga therapist, Cheryl Van Demark acts as a guide for your discovery of Yoga as the complete life science it is.
Your yoga therapy is provided in an initial group of 3 sessions:
- evaluation of your 5 treasures
- instruction in yoga tools for practices suited to your needs
- follow up assessment of effects of practices
Your yoga therapy services may be continued on a single session basis thereafter.
Cheryl Van Demark is also a Holy Fire Reiki practitioner and skilled manual therapist. Her background as a physical therapist for over 30 years has allowed her to seamlessly blend integrative practices for a truly therapeutic experience.
- Initial 3 visit package (within 60 days): $200
- Follow up visits $75 (one hour)
Location options for your appointment:
The Natural Healing Garden Wellness Center, Prescott
Lotus Bloom Yoga Studio, Prescott
You are invited to contact me about my therapeutic services.
Cheryl Van Demark PT, MA
Read my Biography
Public Yoga Classes
At Lotus Bloom Yoga Studio in Prescott
- Tuesdays: All Levels Yoga 9-10:15 am
- Tuesdays: Gentle Yoga 10:30-11:45 am
- Thursdays: Gentle Yoga 10:30-11:45
- Thursdays: Gentle Flow 12-1
At My Place on 89 in Chino Valley
- Tuesdays: All Levels 6-7:30 pm